Nepal Today

Friday, August 9, 2013


Kathmandu 10 Aug.: Chairman of the Interim Election Council Khil Raj Regmi has expressed his serious attention toward the Siraha incident that took place
on Friday, RSS reports.

Regmi has said that any kind of untoward incident over ethnic and religious issues in the religious, social and cultural harmonious country is unfortunate.

Issuing a press statement, Regmi's press coordinator Rajendra Prasad Pandey has said that Chairman Regmi has urged all to resolve the issue without linking the incident to the religious and ethnic colour and maintain social harmony.

Chairman Regmi has said that any kind of misunderstanding and differences in social life could be settled through mutual discussions, dialogue and legal process, urging not to link the dispute to religious and ethnic colour.

Regmi has also urged all locals for religious tolerance and social goodwill and not to repeat such incidents in the future and resolve the present dispute as early as possible.

Meanwhile, a probe panel led by Assistant Chief District Officer of Siraha Durga Prasad Poudel has been formed to investigate the incident.

Likewise, the local administration has also clamped a curfew order after the security situation as Saraswar VDC of Siraha continues to remain tense since a clash between two sides took a violent turn on Friday morning.
The Rising Nepal Adds:
The administration in Siraha Friday enforced curfew in the Saraswor VDC beginning from 2:40 pm for time indefinite.  

The curfew was clamped after tension flared up at various parts of the village over an incident in which an unruly group of youths from Muslim community had misbehaved with women of Hindu community in a Mahadev temple in the village on August 6.

The women from Dhanusha were attending a Bolbom religious function during the incident.
Four days after the incident, a group of 2,000 Hindu community people in retaliation on Friday tried to enter the Muslim settlements and tired to set ablaze different properties and spots of the area, said a news bulletin section of Nepal Police Headquarters.’
A team of assistant Chief District Officer Durga Nath Gautam and Eastern Regional Police Office clamped the curfew indefinitely in the area. The chief of eastern region police office is DIG Upendra Kanta Aryal.
A team of 228 forces of Nepal Police led by Superintendent of Police and 200 forces of the Armed Police Force and additional 44 forces of APF from eastern APF Battalion reached the site to control the unrest.
A team led by assistant CDO Gautam has also been formed to investigate the incident.
According to police headquarter, after the tension flared up, over 8000 Hindu people were gathered in front of the Muslim community. DIG and spokesperson at Police Headquarters,’ Nava Raj Silwal said that police had to 40 rounds of tear gas cells and 31 rounds of rubber bullets to disperse the mob.
DIG Silwal said that 17 Hindu people were arrested after the clash took nasty turn between the police administration and the agitating groups.
Police seized a muzzle loader gun from the arrested Ram Prasad Mukhiya, 30, of Saraswor VDC-1.
The tension came to normal situation at 3:15 pm which begun by 9:45 am this morning.
Fire engines called from Lahan have doused off the fire that spread in several areas of the Muslim community.
According to police, the situation is now under the control of security administration. The Nepal Police has urged both the communities to remain calm and cooperate in the investigation of Nepal Police to reach into the fact of the incident.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home