Nepal Today

Saturday, September 27, 2008

UN secretary-general arrives 30 Oct.

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon arrives in Nepal on a two-day visit 30 October.
Dates were finalized at a meeting between the UN chief and Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal in New York Saturday.
The prime minister invited Ban to visit Lumbini, the birthplace of Buddha.
Nnnn

Flood death toll reaches 64

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: The death toll in the mid and far-West floods has reached 64. Home Minister Bamdeb Gautam told the CA Saturday.
Government will release an additional Rs77.3 million through the central natural calamity rescue committee for the victims, he said.
Nnnn

Another shooting death in tarai

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: Another shooting death occurred Saturday in the tarai where violence continues.
Kamal Adhikari was shot dead in Morang.
It wasn’t known if the shooting was politically motivated.
Nnnn

Miss Nepal 2008 contest postponed

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: Miss Nepal 2008 contest has been postponed for the fourth time on government intervention
, organizer Hidden Treasure said.
The pageant was scheduled to be held at the well-protected Tribhuvan Army Officers’ Club.
Local authorities said they couldn’t provide security.
Maoists oppose the contest.
Nnnn

14 rebel groups meet across border in Bihar to launch offensive

By Bhola B Rana

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: More than a dozen rebel groups in the tarai are preparing to escalate criminal activities in the region by uniting after dasain at a time when Home Minister Bamdeb Gautam has made a public commitment to improve law and order, Naya Patrika reports.
Fourteen groups mat Friday in Katihar, Bihar, to discuss working unity.
According to Bibas Bidrohi, General Secretary of Janatantrik Tarai Mukti Morcha, Jwala Singh group, all groups active in the tarai attended the meeting; he said efforts for unity were also made.
Bodrohi said Jaya Krishna Goit will be chosen as supreme leader following unity before a new rebellion is planned.
Coordinator of unity committee Chandra Shekhar said plans are afoot to unite within five days.
Nnnn

Nordic company takes over Spice Nepal Pvt Ltd

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: TeliaSonera AB, a Nordic company, has acquired a majority stake in Spice Nepal Pvt Ltd, the second biggest mobile operator in Nepal, a official announcement said.
Eighty percent in direct inter4ewst of Spice Nepal Pvt Ltd have been acquired by TeliaSonera Asia Holding BV, a partnership between TeliaSonera AB and Visor Group, a Kazak company.,
“One of priorities is to expand our business in Eurasia, where we have successfully grown and created value over the past ten years. Nepal ad Cambodia have a combined population of 43 million, low mobile penetration and growing economies. I am excited at this opportunity,” said Lars Nyberg, President and CEO of TeliaSonera AB.
TeliaSonera will acquire 51 percent shares and votes in TeliaSonera Asia Holding from Visor Group which will have remaining 49 percent shares.
Spice Nepal began Nepal operations in 2005; net sale in 2007 and the first six months in 2008 was $ 41.1 million and 34.1 million respectively.
The takeover will be complete by 1 October.
Nnnn

Maoist weapons to be discussed with UNMIN

By Bhola B Rana

Kathmandu, 28 Sept: Acting Prime Minister Bamdeb Gautam told the CA Saturday government will discuss UN sanctioned weapons carried by Maoist with UNMIN.
“We will discuss the issue after the prime minister returns home,” Gautam said.
“This [CA] is an arms free zone,” Gautam said.
Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dalal Prachanda is currently in New York attending the annual UN general assembly session.
The weapons carried by Maoists with UN tags became controversial when an armed security guard of Maoist leader Barsha Man Pun Ananta entered the CA last week.
Gautam told the CA weapons won’t be allowed henceforth in the assembly premises where Nepal Police provides security.
Assembly proceedings have been disrupted for two continues days over the issue of weapons being by carried by Maoists.
Even coalition partners of Maoists in government have opposed the presence of Maoist weapons in the assembly.
“The home minister is under the prime minister. He does not have the authority to take an independent decision on the matter,” Maoist leader Top Bahadur Rayamajhi said.
“This is a non-issue,” Rayamajhi said recalling the weapons for security of Maoistcentral leaders were approved by the previous government of Girija Prasad Koirala.
Chairman Subash Nemwang also said weapons aren’t allowed inside CA premises.
Nnnn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

http://www2.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://www.ranabhola.blogspot.com